David Rittenhouse Laboratory
The original wing is a red brick structure that is adjacent to Shoemaker Green next to the Palestra. The 1967 addition is in a more modern style, and faces Walnut Street. DRL is home to the Department of Mathematics, the Department of Physics and Astronomy, the Mathematics, Physics and Astronomy Library and the Multi-Media and Educational Technology Services Center. The High Bay Lab was added in 2012. The building is named after David Rittenhouse (1731-1796), who was professor of astronomy at Penn, the first director of the United States Mint, and president of the American Philosophical Society.