Fisher - Bennett Hall

Fisher Bennett Hall

The unusual plan of Bennett Hall, with the main facade on the beveled corner, is dictated by its unusual site at the juncture of three streets (Walnut, 34th, and the diagonal of the former Woodland Avenue).  Because of the slope of the site, the building goes from four to six stories.  The principal facade is symmetrical with a central tower articulated by decorative buttresses rising to corner spires above the main entrance.  The tower is flanked by two‑story windows below a battlement at the roof line.  The side facades are marked by regularly placed fenestration with quoined surrounds rising to large, gabled dormers.  The second and fourth floors are articulated by limestone water tables. Originally built as Bennett College, the first facility built for women at the University;  including classrooms, a library, a gymnasium and a student union, is an important landmark to the campus. The building was generously renovated and upgraded in 2005 and re-opened in 2006 as Fisher-Bennett Hall. Currently the English Department, English Language Programs, Music Department and Cinema Studies are the major occupants of this building.

Address
3340 Walnut Street
Philadelphia PA, 19104

Fisher - Bennett Hall

Building Code:
25
Gross Area (sq. ft.):
78,099
Year Built:
1925
Floors:
5
Architect:
Stewardson & Page
Other Name:
Bennett, Bennett College
Area Manager:
John Blankemeyer
johnblan@upenn.edu
215-573-7166
Building Manager:
James Trumbo
jtrumbo@sas.upenn.edu
215-746-3526