Fisher Fine Arts Library, Anne and Jerome

Fisher Fine Arts Library

This historic library, a National Historic Landmark, is the major masterpiece of Philadelphia's most important Victorian architect, Frank Furness. Combining genius in planning and form, it is a seminal library design that expresses function while merging the imagery of cathedral and railroad station. Additions in 1916, 1922, and 1931, Restored from 1986-91 by Venturi, Scott Brown and Associates. The 1931 McGoodwin addition is home to the Arthur Ross Gallery.

Address
220 South 34th Street
Philadelphia PA, 19104

Fisher Fine Arts Library, Anne and Jerome

Building Code:
170
Gross Area (sq. ft.):
65,026
Year Built:
1890
Addition Year:
1916 - 1931 - 1988 - 1991
Floors:
8
Architect:
Furness Evans Co./Venturi Rauch Scott Brown Assoc.
Other Name:
Furness, Furness Library, Fine Arts Library, Furness Building, Univ. of Pennsylvania Library
Area Manager:
Agnes Donaldson,
saysaw@upenn.edu
215-898-8644
Building Manager:
Karl M. Wellman, Jr.
kwellman@design.upenn.edu
215-898-8322