Kings Court / English College House

Kings Court / English College House

Kings Court / English College House

King's Court is composed of three connected, five‑story apartment blocks, each with symmetrical facades. Each facade is divided into regular registers, articulated by symmetrically placed protruding, three‑sided metal clad bays, which begin above the ground floor level.  The principal facades (on Chestnut and 36th Streets) are ornamented with a limestone base, stringcourses at the second and fifth floors, surrounds include Doric pilasters supporting an entablature above the building name.

English House is a rectangular, five story, modern dormitory, with fenestration in the form of continuous bands of windows from floor to ceiling on floors two through five, separated by poured-in-place concrete slabs and bracketed on the ends by concrete piers.  The lower portion of the fenestration consists of a panel of green plate glass for privacy.  The end (north and south) elevations are marked by a central recessed concrete pier between brown brick panel facing.  The building is raised on pilotis, and features a roof-deck canopy and plaza. English House, designed by Architect Carl Erikson, was originally constructed as a dormitory for Nursing students and named for its donor, Mrs. Chancellor English.

The building was altered to a modern dormitory and linked to Kings Court in 1991 by MGA Partners.

Address
3565 Sansom Street
Philadelphia PA, 19104

Kings Court / English College House

Building Code:
270
Gross Area (sq. ft.):
132,378
Year Built:
1915
Floors:
5
Architect:
Watson and Huckel
Other Name:
KCEH, Kings Court, ( Kings Court/English House )
Area Manager:
Mike Doherty
midohert@upenn.edu
215-573-7296
Building Manager:
Stephen Maurer
stmaurer@upenn.edu
215-573-1145