• Music Building Exterior



  • Music Building Exterior



  • Music Building Exterior



  • Music Building Interior Old and New Connection



  • Music Large Classroom



Originally part of the Foulke and Long Institute along with the adjacent Morgan Building, and later incorporated into the University, this was the plainer of the two buildings, and it is set back slightly, marking the hierarchy within the original Institute. The Lerner Center has been completely renovated with a restoration of the original historic facade, while completely demolishing and rebuilding the interior and adding an expanded facility between Chancellor and Smith Walks, that reflects the modern needs of the Music Department.

Planning Strategy: 
Originally built in 1890 as an orphanage, the Lerner Center (formerly known as the Music Building) was purchased by the University in the early 1900's. Additions have been made to the building over the years to house the Music Department. The most recent renovation resulted in an expanded facility that reflects the modern needs of the department and restores the historic structure.
Program: 
The existing historic structure was restored, while a new addition to the east houses faculty offices, classrooms, and practice rooms.

Lerner Center Location

Address
201 South 34th Street
Philadelphia PA, 19104

Lerner Center

Building Code:
365
Gross Area (sq. ft.):
29,364
Phase:
Completed
Total Project Cost:
$15,900,000
Year Built:
1892
Addition Year:
2010
Floors:
4
Architect:
Cope & Stewardson / Ann Beha Architects
Other Name:
Music Building, Foulke Long Institute
Download Penn Access PDF:
Area Manager:
John Blankemeyer
johnblan@upenn.edu
215-573-7166
Building Manager:
Maryellen Malek
malek@sas.upenn.edu
215-898-1545