• University Museum exterior



  • Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology exterior



A team of three prominent Philadelphia architects designed the University Museum, all of who taught on the faculty of the University -- Wilson Eyre, Cope and Stewardson and Frank Miles Day and Brother. Only a portion of the original plan for the Museum was built. The first phase was completed in 1899 and housed the discoveries from an expedition sponsored by the University to the ancient site of Nippur. In 1915, the rotunda, which houses the Harrison Auditorium in the basement, was completed. Charles G. Klauder designed the Coxe Memorial Wing, which opened in 1926 to house the Museum's Egyptian collection. The Sharpe Wing was completed in 1929.

Planning Strategy: 
The addition of climate control throughout the West Wing, together with replacement of the windows with historically accurate energy efficient units will significantly enhance the Penn Museum visitor experience and provide greater protection and stability for the artifacts on display.
Program: 
Phase 1 Gallery Renovations: The first phase of the work to the Museum's historic West Wing included refurbishment of the 2nd and 3rd floor public galleries, modernization of HVAC, window replacements, and infrastructure mechanical work that would support phases 1, 2, and 3. Phase 2 Conservations Labs Renovations: This phase of the work included the renovation of Conservation Labs on 1st floor and office space on 3rd floor, specifically addressing climate control, and replacement of windows. Phase 3 Widener Renovations: This phase of the project in the Penn Museum restored the Widener Lecture Hall to its original function with stage and balcony seating. Renovations included the 2nd floor multi-purpose lecture hall, its 3rd floor balcony, and 1st floor bathrooms. In addition to restoration of the original hall and its entry door, this project included a new HVAC system and window replacements.
Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania Location
Address
3260 South Street
Philadelphia PA, 19104

Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, University of Pennsylvania

Building Code:
575
Gross Area (sq. ft.):
168,171
Phase:
Completed
Total Project Cost:
$13,280,000
Year Built:
1890
Addition Year:
1929
Floors:
6
Architect:
Stewardson & Cope / Wilson, Day
Other Name:
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology & Anthropology, University Museum
Download Penn Access PDF:
Area Manager:
John Blankemeyer
johnblan@upenn.edu
215-573-7166
Building Manager:
Brian Houghton
brianhou@upenn.edu
215-573-3775